Daniel’s Example of Prayer
By Laurie Williams Sowby
(Based on a true story)
- 1.Daniel was excited. He was flying on an airplane to visit his grandparents in Peru. They weren’t members of the Church, but he loved them and they loved him.
- 2.When Daniel got to Peru, he was happy to see his grandparents. He also was a little homesick. Things were different in Peru than at home in Spain. But he knew one thing could be the same.
- 3.Can we have prayer before bedtime?
- 4.Why do you want to pray?
Because Jesus told us to.
OK. How do you pray?
- 5.We need to kneel down, bow our heads, and close our eyes.
- 6.We can thank Heavenly Father for our blessings and ask Him to help us.
- 7.Daniel’s grandparents were so impressed that they prayed every morning and night during Daniel’s visit.
- 8.Daniel felt happy when he prayed with his grandparents. He knew Heavenly Father was happy too.
Illustrations by Scott Peck
Being a Good Example
Daniel is learning to show a good example. Draw a happy face in the circles next to the pictures of Daniel showing a good example. Draw a sad face in the circles next to the pictures of Daniel showing a bad example.
- •Read the story “Daniel’s Example of Prayer” with your child. Share an experience when someone’s good example helped you.
- •Share the story of Abinadi from the Book of Mormon (see Mosiah 11–17). Explain that Abinadi’s strong example and teachings helped Alma believe in Heavenly Father.
The scriptures include stories about prophets and other people who are examples of how to be obedient to Heavenly Father. Follow the lines to find which book of scripture the account of each prophet is found in.